Gloria Dei Church and School of Chicago
Gloria Dei Lutheran Church and School is a congregation of the one, holy, Christian and apostolic Church founded by our Lord Jesus Christ. We are affiliated with the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, and are a part of that Synod's Northern Illinois District. Gloria Dei Lutheran Church is a lively congregation located in the thriving Garfield Ridge neighborhood on the southwest side of Chicago, Illinois, near Midway Airport, at the corner of 53rd and Major Avenues.
The purpose of Gloria Dei Lutheran Church and School is to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ and to administer His Holy Sacraments. To accomplish these purposes, Gloria Dei utilizes the historic sacramentaland liturgical worship as preserved in the practice of the Lutheran Church. To further accomplish these purposes, we also offer Christ-centered Lutheran education in our Pre-Kindergarten through Eighth Grade School.
We welcome you to visit us at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church and School anytime. Our pastor, Rev. Steven J. Anderson, is available to talk to you, as well as our principal, Mr. Scott D. Schilling.
Pastor Steven J. Anderson
On November 12, 1939, a group of Lutherans began holding Services in a bungalow on the northeast corner of Parkside Avenue and 52nd Street. On January 24, 1940, a resolution was adopted to organize a Lutheran congregation and the Rev. Hugo Bloedel was called to serve as Pastor. The name of the new Lutheran congregation was Parkside Avenue Evangelical Lutheran Church.
On March 3, 1940 the trustees were directed to purchase six lots on the northeast corner of South Major Avenue and 53rd Street. On May 18, 1941, the cornerstone was laid, and on September 28, 1941, the church building was dedicated.
On August 3, 1941, the congregation chose its new and official name, Gloria Dei Evangelical Lutheran Church (Gloria Dei is Latin for The Glory of God).
Seven pastors have served Gloria Dei Lutheran Church. The longest serving was the Rev. Elmer Sedory who served at Gloria Dei from 1955 until his retirement in 1988. Gloria Dei is currently served by the Rev. Steven J. Anderson.
It was during Rev. Sedory's pastorate that Gloria Dei Lutheran School was built and the church building extensively renovated. The renovated church and brand new school were dedicated in September of 1960. Gloria Dei Lutheran Church has run and maintained the Lutheran Day School continuously since that time, served by many faithful teachers, including Mrs. Sharon Voight, who has taught at Gloria Dei since 1967. The school has been served by three principals, Mr. Don Marten, Mr. Doug Rebeck and by our current principal, Mr. Scott Schilling.